Omar Mohamed Fathy Ibrahim
18th November, 1948
Dept. of Surgery, Faculty of medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt.
+20 (50) 251900
+20 (50) 243220
- M.B.B.Ch : (Very good) Mansoura University (1968).
- MS : In general Surgery
- DSS : Abdominal Surgery (1980)
- Follow in specialized surgery (abdominal Surgery), University of Vienna
- MD in general surgery 1984
- Surgical registrar in Mansoura University Hospital for one year "1974-75).
- One year Military services, as a specialist in General Surgery in
Military Hospital "1978-79".
- Scholarship (American Medical Society) University of Vienna "1979-80).
- Lecturer of General Surgery in Gastroenterology Unit , Mansoura Hospital.
- Assistant Professor of General Surgery in Mansoura University hospital,
Gastroenterology Unit, since "1990"
- Professor of General Surgery in Mansoura University hospital, Gastroenterology
center, since "1995-till now"
| Scientific Publications:
- Liver function after Meso-Caval Shunt M.S. thesis Mansoura University
- Endoscopic polypectomy for Schistosoma polyps, Benha Med. J 03.1.1986.
- Ulcerative colitis in Egypt, study of 38 cases accepted in Mansoura
med J. 14.21.1987.
- 9-year experience with highly selective vagotomy, Mansoura Med J.
- Meso-caval shunt "10 years follow-up" accepted in Mansoura
Med J. 15, 10, 1986.
- Randomized trial between central and distal leino renal shunt for
treatment of bleeding esophageal varices M.D. thesis, Mansoura University,
- Value of arterial portogrpaphy in management of portal hypertension.
Egyptian Journal of Radiology & Nuclear Medicine 17, 19-25, 1985.
- Evaluation of stapler esophageal resection in treatment of bleeding
esophageal varices benha med. J. 3, 01.89, 1986.
- Non-shunt surgery "10-years experience with Hassab's operation"
accepted in Mansoura Med J. 14, 2, 1987.
- Distal spleno-renal shunt for management of variceal bleeding in patients
with schistosomal hepatic fibrosis. Annals of Surgery Vol. 204, No.
5, 566-573, 1989.
- Ten years of experience with patients with chronic active liver disease
variceal bleeding: Ablative versus selective decompressive therapy.
Surgery, 1993; 114:868-871.
- Management of bleeding gastric varices, presentation of 4th World
Congress, International Gastro-Surgical Club. 516-519, 1993.
- Distal spleno-renal shunt for management of bleeding esophagogastric
varices: 17-years experience with 500 patients. 6th Annual Surgical
- M. Abdel Wahab, M.D.; M. El-Barbary, M.D.; O. Fathy, M.D.; N. Gad
El-Hak, M.D.; G. El-Ebeidy, M.D.; N El-Ghawalby, M.D.; A. Sultan, M.D.
and Farouk Ezzat, F.R.C.S. Is surgery rejected for management of bleeding
varices in age above 60? International Journal of Surgical Sciences
(1995)Vol2. No.3 107-110.
- Could the colon replace the esophagus? Functional study, 4th annual
meeting of the Egyptian society of surgery, 1996.
- M. Abdel Wahab, M.D.; Gamal El-Ebeidy, M.D.; Ahmed Sultan, M.D.; Nabih
El-Ghawalby, M.D.; Omar Fathy, M.D.; Nabil Gad El-Hak, M.D.; Ahmed Abo
Elenin, M.D.; Mostafa Abo Zeid, M.D. and Farouk Ezzat, F.R.C.S. Post
cholecystectomy bile duct injuries: experience with 49 cases managed
by different therapeutic modalities, Hepato-Gastro-enterology 43 (1996)
- Is surgery rejected for management of bleeding varices in age over
60? International Journal of Surgery Science; 1996; 2: 107-110.
- Post-Gastrojejunostomy Entero-Gastric reflux: is it always symptomatic?
Abu Zeid M.; Gad El-Hak N.; El-Ebaidy G.; Abu-Eleinien A.; Fathy O.;
Abd El-Wahab M.; Sultan A.; El-Ghawalby N.; Ezzat F. benha Medical Journal
Sep. 1997; 14(3):143-164.
- Long term results after colonic exclusion for severe porta systemic
encephalopathy. Abu Elenien A.; Abu Zied M.; Gad El-Hak .; El-Ebidy
G.; Abd-Elwahab M.; Fathy M.; El-Ghawalby N.; Sultan A. 8th World Congress
of the International Gastro-Surgical Club April 1998; 453-456.
- Lymphangiomatus cysts of the spleen; Reports of 3 cases and review
of literature. Abdel-Wahab M.; Gad El-Hak N.; Fathy O.; El-Ebeidy G.
& Ezzat F. Hepatogastroenterology; 1998.
- Abdel-Wahab M, El-shennawy F, Agha S, Ragab E, Fathi O, Sultan A,
Elghawalby , Ezzat F. Evaluation of cell mediated immunity in advanced
pancreatic carcinoma before and after treatment with interleukin-2 (IL-2).
Hepatogastroenterology. 1999 May; 46 Supp1:1293-6.
- Distal spleno renal shunt in management of bleeding esophagogastric
varices. 20 Year experience 600 patients. Fathy, O.; Gad El-Hak N.;
El-Ebidy, G. & Abo Zid, M. European surgical research; 1999; 31:99.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: Experience with 1500 cases. Fathy, O.;
Abdel-Wahab M.; El-Hak, N. & El-Ebiedy, G. European surgical research'
1999 Apr.; 31:151.
- Abdel Wahab M. Abu El-Enain A., M., Abu Zaid. T abd allah M. Fawzy
A Foad, A. Sultan, O. Fathy G. El-Ebaidy., N el- El-Ghawalby, F. Ezzat.
Hepatocellular carcinoma in Mansoura Egypt. (experience of 385 patients
at a single center). Hepatogastroenterology. (2000) May-Jun; 47 (33):663-8.
- M. Abdel Wahab, A. Abu El-Enein, O Fathy, N Gad El-Hak, MF El-Shal,
A Yaseen A sultan, N El-Ghawalby, F. Ezzat. Does cholecystectomy affect
antral mucosal? Endoscopic, histopathologic and DNA flo cytometric study.
Hepaogastroenterology. 2000 May-june; 47(33):621-5.
- Abel Wahab M. Sultan A. El-ghawalby NA, Fathy O , Abu Zaid M Abu el-Elain
A. Abdullah T, Foad A. El-Fiky A. Ezzat F. Is resection for large hepatocellular
carcinoma in cirrhotic patients beneficial ? study of 38 cases hepatogastroenterology,
- Abdel Wahab M, Sultan A, El-Ghawalby N, Fathy O, Abu Zeid M, Abu El-Enin
A, Abdallah T, Foad A, Kandeel T. El-Shobari M. El-Fiky A, El-Ebidy
G. Gadel Hak N. Ezzat F. Hepatic resection in cirrhotic liver for treatment
of hepatocellular carcinoma in Egyptian patients experience with 140
cases in single center under publication.
- Abel Wahab M. Sultan A. El-ghawalby NA, Fathy O , Abu Zaid M Abu el-Elain
A. Abdullah T, Foad A. El-Fiky A. Ezzat F. Modified Pancreaticoduodendectomy:
Experience with 81 Cases Wahab Modification, hepatogastroenterology,
- Soliman AS, El-Ghawalby N, Ezat F, Bondy ML, Soultan A, Abdel-Wahab
M, fathy O, Ebidi G, Bassioni N, El-Ghawalbi A, Levin B, Abbruzzese
JL. Unusually high rate of young-onset pancreatic cancer in the East
Nile Delta region of Egypt. Int J Gastrointest Cancer. 2002, 32(2-3):143-51.
- Abdel Wahab M. Sultan A. El-ghawalby NA, Fathy O , Abu Zaid M Abu
el-Elain A. Abdullah T, Foad A. El-Fiky A. Ezzat F. Out come after resection
of central cholangiocarcinoma: preliminary experience with 46 patients
in a single center hepatogastroenterology, (2003). 50:337-341.
- Management of periampulary tumor The Hepato gastro-entrology Journal
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy experience in 2000 cases The Hepato gastro-entrology
Journal vol 52.
- Short gastric vessels division in Laparoscopic fundoplication The
Hepato gastro-entrology Journal vol 66.
- Partial posterior wrap (toupet) in patients with defective body motility,
Saudi Journal of Gastroentrology May Vol 11.
|Contribution in Scientific
- 5th international gastro surgical club meeting of surgeons an gastroenterologists.
Munich, April 1994. Lecture: Transjejunal endoscopic cholangiography.
- The 1st congress of Arab society of Gastroenterology. The 3rd conference
of Jordanian society of gastroenterology. Amman, Jordan, Aug. 1995.
- The 6th Emirates Annual surgical conference (1995 Abu Dhabi): paper:-
distal splenorenal shunt in management of bleeding esophageal varices:
17 years experience with 500 patients.
- 7th world congress of international gastro surgical club. Joint meeting
of surgeons and gastroenterologists. Budapest, June 1996. Lecture: could
the colon replace the esophagus. Functional study.
- International organization for statistical studies on diseases of
the esophagus O.E.S.O. Paris, Sep. 1996.
- 5th United European gastroenterology week (5th UEGW). Nov. 1996.
- 12th congress of the Syrian Scoiety of Gastroenterology & Endoscopy.
2nd congress of the Pan Arab Society of Gastroenterology. 4th congress
of the Arab African Society of Gastroenterology. Syria Damascus, April
1997. Paper: Laparoscopic cholecystectomy experience with 2000 cases.
- 10th World congress Gastroenterolyg. 9th World congress of Digestive
Endoscopy. 6th World Congress of colo-proctology. Vienna, May 1998.
- The European Congress of the international Hepato-Pancreato Biliary
Association. Budapest- Hungary, May 1999. Lecture: Whipple's procedure
" pancreaticoduodenenctomy" Mansoura Experience.
- XXXIV ESSR. Congress (European society for surgical research Bern
- 1999. Abstract paper: Laparoscopioc cholecystectomy experience with
2500 cases. Lecture: comparative study pancreatico gastrostomy versus
pancreaticojejunostomy of after Whipple's operation.
- American College of surgeons 85th annual clinical congress October
1999 - San Francisco, California.
- European Association for endoscopic surgery 8th internation congress
June 2000, Nice France.
- The 16th Annual congress of Syrian - Jordanian - Lebanese congress.
Aleppo Mars 2001.society. Lecture: Resection or no resection in Cancer
Pancreas. Experience with 550 cases.
- International surgical week, Brussels, Belgirum. August 26-30, 2001.
- American college of surgeons 87th annual congress, October 7-12, 2001,
New Orleans, L.A.
- American college of surgeons 87th annual congress, October 19-23,
2003 Chicago, IL.
- Emirotes PAN-ARAB Gastro-enterology week. Junuary 13-17, 2004. Shorjah.
- The 4th IRAQ, Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian, Gastroenterology congress
of the 18th Syrian cancer of gastroenterology. Lattakia April 21-23,
- The Syrian society of gastroenterology 19th Syrian congress of gastroentrology
& the associated 19th endoscopic workshop. 27 -29 April, 2005 (Management
of Periampullary Tumors: Experience With 945 Cases)
- 3rd International Laparoscopic Surgery Symposium Saudi German Hospital
Group - Jeddah, K.S.A. October 1 - 3, 2005 (Post Cholecystectomy bile
- 15th pan arab surgeons association conference & 1st Bahrain surgeons
association conference 18-20 December, 2005 ( Acute pancreatities )
- 5th international congress of the African-Middel East Association
of gastroentrology in collaboration with sharjah medical district 24
-26 Feb., 2006 ( Post Cholecystectomy Bile Duct Injuries ) (Periampullary
Tumors: Experience With 945 Cases ).
- The Egyptian Group for the Study of Gastrointestinal Motility. Disorders
Update. GEC-Mansoura, May 1995.
- 14th Annual meeting of the Egyptian Society of Surgeons. Cairo, March
1996. Lecture: iatrogenic bniliary fistula, Endoscopic treatment.
- 1st Annual Conference of Surgery Department. Mansoura Faculty of medicine,
- First Assuit Conference of Gastro Intestinal Surgery. Assuit, Feb.
1997. Lecture:- Endoscopic therpy of CBD stones.
- The Egyptian Society of Gastro Intestinal Endoscopy, 3rd International
Annual congress. Cairo, March 1997. Lecture: Endoscopic therapy CBD
- Third Annual International congress of the Egyptian Society of Gastrointestinal
Endoscopy. Cairo, March 1997.
- Second International Conference of Surgery in Coloration with the
Egyptian Society of Surgeons and Egyptian Society of Oncology. Mansorua,
Mansorua Faculty of medicine, April 1997. Lecture: could colon replace
the Esophagus. A functional study.
- 11th Annual Summer meeting of the Egyptian society of Hepatology.
Alexandria, Oct. 1997.
- 3rd Annual meeting of El-Menya University in Collaboration with the
Egyptian Society of Surgeons. Cairo, Dec. 1997. Round table discussion
on update management of gall stones.
- 16th Annual meeting of the Egyptian society of surgeons. Cairo, Feb.
1998. Lecture: Distal splenorenal shunt in management of bleeding esophagogastric
varices ; 10 years experience with 540 patients.
- Second Annual conference of Gastrointestinal surgery and hepatology
and fourth Assuit meeting of the Egyptian society of surgeons. Assuit,
- Third African internation congress of the African Association of study
of Liver Diseases (AF ASLD). Cairo, march 1998.
- 3rd International congress of gastrointestinal surgery and Hepatology
1st congress of the hepato-pancreatic Biliary Club In collaboration
with the Egyptian Society of Surgeons.
- The firs conference of gastroenterology and hepatology Unit. Faculty
of Medicine, Suez Canal university, Ismailia, Aprial 1998. Lecture:
Approach to a patient with jaundice.
- The second annual internation congress of the Egyptian Society of
gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Cairo, April 1998. Lecture: Endoscopic management
of biliary fistula and benign biliary strictures.
- 5th Annual congress of the Egyptian Society of tropical medicine,
infections and parasitic diseases. Alex. June 1998.
- 5th international annual congress of the Egyptian society of tropical
medicine, infections and parasitic diseases. Alex. June 1998.
- 1st international meeting of Pan Arab society of gastrointestinal
motility. Cairo, Sept. 1998.
- International Biemnial meeting of the Egyptian group for the study
of gastrointestinal motility. Cairo, Sept. 1998.
- Third Egyptian internationa, first Arab international congresses of
endoscopic surgery and second international conference of Mediterranean
club of endoscopic surgery. Cairo, 1998.
- The pan Arab association of Gastroenterology 3rd international conference.
Cairo, Sept. 1999. Lecture : laparascopic evaluation of liver tumors
- 6th international Annual congress Egyptian society of Gastrointestinal
Endoscopy Cairo-Egypt. January 2000. Chair person in symposium: the
pancreas: the Hidden organ.
- 4th international congress of gastrointestinal surgery & hepatology.
2nd congress of hepatopanreatobiliay club. 1st Egyptian association
for digestive disease. Aswan, 2001. Egypt. Lecture: pancreatico gastrostomy
versus pancreatico jejenostomy in.
- 3rd Annual conference of the Egyptian group of colon and rectal surgeons.
April 2001. Sharm El-Sheikh. Egypt.
- The Egyptian Society of surgeons: Whipple operation pancreatic cancer.
Sept. 2001. Alexandria, Egypt.
- 7th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Group of Colon & Rectal
surgeons 1-4 June, 2005 Sharm El-Sheikh (Epidemiology of colorectal
- 3rd congress of the Egyptian society of lap. Surgery 27 -30 January,
2006 (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. How To Avoid Complications)
| Thesis Supervision:
- Functional evaluation of distal esophagus and lower esophageal sphincter
following esophageal transection in patients with varices: Niazy Mahmoud
Selim. Mansoura University 1991.
- Evaluation of esophageal function after heller's myotomy for achalasia.
Amgad Ahmed Foad Hasan. Mansoura University 1992.
- Factors influencing survival in cancer head of pancreas and periampullary
cancer after pancreatico duodenectomy: Waleed Adel Mohamed Askar. Mansoura
- A prospective randomized comparative study between endoscoopic variceal
ligation and endoscopy variceal sclerotheapy in treatment of bleeding
esophageal varices: Ahmed Abel-Raouf El-Sharkawy. Mansoura University
- Manometric evaluation of the sphincter of oddi dysfunction and the
effect of endoscopic sphincterotomy: Tarek Salah El-Husseini. Mansoura
- Endoscopic transthoracic versus surgical cervicodorsal sympathectomy:
Yasser Mosbah Bedair El-Kiran. Mansoura University 1997.
- Clinical radiological, endoscopic and motility studies in cases with
symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: Ayman Abdel-ghafar El-Ksuky. Mansoura
- Evaluation of swenson's operation in treatment of hirschsprung's disease:
Emad El-Dein Hamdy Negm. Mansoura University 1999.
- Enzymatic amplification of RNA virus sequences by popymerase chain
reaction: Mohamed El-Mitwally Mohamed El-Mitwally. Mansoura University
- Study of the effect of cholecystectomy on gastric antral mucosa: Adel
Othman Yaseen. Mansoura University 1999.
- Neoadjuvant Radio-chemotherapy in colorectal cancer: Essam El-Sherbieny.
Mansoura University 2000.
- Pancreatico gastrostomy virsus pancreatico jejunostomy after pancreatico
duodenectomy a randomized study. Abd El Monenr, Mansoura University
- Management of preampullary tumor retrospective aralysis ,Ahmed sultan
Mansoura university 2003
- Projnostic factor of preampullary tumor , Ehab El Desouky Mansoura
- Epidemiology &Evaluation Of Different Modalities Of Management
Of Proximal Bile Duct Cancer (EHAB EL-HANAFY, Mansoura University, Faculty
of medicine) (MD). 2003
- Post Cholecystectomy Bile Duct Injury (ALI Salm , (MD). Mansoura University,
Faculty of medicine) 2004
- Evaluation Of Pancreaticogastrostomy For Pancreatic Reconstruction
After Pancreaticoduodenectomy (AHMED MUHAMED SULTAN, Mansoura University,
Faculty of medicine) (MD). 2004
- Pan Arab Association Of Liver Transplantation 2005.
- International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association (IHPBA). 1999.
- Gastrointestinal motility (1998)
- International Association of surgeon & gastroenterologists (1996).
- Pan-arab Association (1995).
- Membership (international association of surgeons & Gastroenterologist
- Egyptian surgical society (1985)
- Fellowship in American medical society (Vienna 1980)
Prof. F. A. Ezzat (FRCS).
Vice president of Mansoura University
Professor of Surgery & Gastroenterology
Prof. M.D. EL-Zawahry (FRCS).
Professor of Surgery, Mansoura University
Prof. M.S. IBRAHIM (FRCS).
Professor & Chairman, Department of surgery
Prof. Kaream Abu Al Majd,
General Surgery, Pittsburgh transplantation institute,
University of Pittsburg, USA.
& Information Technology Center