The establishment of the unit:
- Unit began working diagnosis and control of microbial infections in early October 1994.
- Issued Ministerial Decree No. 46 dated 15.06.1995 has established microbiology diagnostics and infection control unit.
- The Rules of Procedure of the unit were adopted by the decision 973 in 31/7/1995.
- The first board of directors of the unit were constituted for 3 years, by Resolution No. 1147 at 3/10/1995.
Founder of the unit:
- Founder of the unit and specialization is a. Prof. Mohamed Sabry Rizk Professor and ex Chairman of the Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology and it was the first unit of its kind established in the Arab Republic of Egypt through the efforts of prof. Mohamed Sabry Rizk in the period when prof. Medhat Mohamed Aly was the Head of the Department of medical Microbiology and Immunology.
- since the time of declaration of the unit flag at 1994 until now and the unit is running at full efficiency for the establishment, implementation and the development of infection control policies in Mansoura University Hospitals and medical centers.
- the ministerial decree was issued for adding infection control as the sixth scientific discipline in the Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology in 2005.
Management of the unit:
- the presidency of the unit board of directors was assumed by :-
- Prof. Mohammed Mustafa Hafez from 1995 - 1999
- Prof. Ali Abdel Latif Hegazy from 1999 - 2003
- Prof. Medhat Mohamed Ali from 2003 - 2005
- Prof. Frha Abdul Aziz Shenawy from 2005 - 2007
- Prof. Amr Sarhan from 2007 - 2010
- Prof. Ashraf Mohammed Abdul Basit from 2010 until now
- The Directors of the Unit are:
- Prof. Mohamed Sabry Rizk from 1994 - 2004
- Prof. Mohamed Fouad Knawy from 2005 - 2008
- Prof. Mohammed Ahmed Abu El Ela from February 2008 until now
The first infection control team since the first foundation of the unit for the implementation of infection control policies in Mansoura University Hospital, was the chairmanship of : Prof. Talat Othman and Prof. Samia Hawas