The department of pathology plays a major role in teaching pathology to third year medical, dental and pharmaceutical undergraduate students to explore the basic nature, mechanisms, causes and courses of human diseases. The training includes:
- Lectures give by department lecturers
- Small group teaching of the gross and microscopic anatomy of specific organs
The department of pathology has an extremely strong residency and clinical fellowship program to provide strong basic training for postgraduate students in pathology and its subspecialties.
The department mission is to develop a medical knowledge/skill base and professional attributes that allow our resident/fellow to independently and competently practice pathology with a life long commitment to continued learning and excellence.
The training includes:
- Participation in daily diagnosis on surgical pathology and frozen section cases.
- Elective rotation through the specialty services
- Fellows participate in departmental and interdepartmental conferences as well as medical students and resident teaching. Fellows present cases in the weekly multidisciplinary conference.
- There are opportunities for experience in the diagnostic application of special techniques such as special stains and immunohistochemistry.
In addition to the teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, the department plays a very active role in teaching to other clinical departments' residents and faculty participate in a large number of teaching conferences.
The pathology department provides high quality laboratory services for the diagnosis, management and prognostic evaluations of patients. We provide these services not only to the Mansoura Major Hospitals but also to many other of the regional hospitals and clinics. These services include:
- The gross evaluation of pediatric and adult surgical specimens.
- The skilled histopathological interpretation of surgical specimens whether fresh and fixed tissue , paraffin blocks and slides
- Provide rapid diagnosis for patients and referring physicians with fine needle aspiration services and on-site frozen sections
- The immunohistochemistry laboratory is dedicated to provide high quality stained slides to pathologists in an efficient and timely manner.
Basic and Clinical Research:
As one of the clinical departments, the mission is to provide a research academic environment that allows our faculty, students, fellows and staff not only to succeed but also to excel. Also is to create a research community that engages in diverse investigations to discover and study molecular biomarkers across patient populations suffering from various malignancies. Particular emphasis is placed on molecular epidemiology studies to establish biomarkers directly applicable to clinical practice to enhance patient care in areas of disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention.